Meet Dr. Walsworth
Dr. Joel Walsworth is originally from the town of Dowagiac in southwest Michigan. He attended the University of Iowa on a football scholarship and majored in pre-medicine and psychology. He additionally studied at the University of Wales, Swansea in Great Britain in 1998. Dr Walsworth received his dental degree from the University of Iowa in 2005. He worked in a group practice in Des Moines for three years prior to taking over the practice of Dr. Dean Sheller in Waverly in 2008. Dr. Walsworth believes in a lifelong commitment to continuing education and values personal relationships with his patients. He stays current on dental techniques by attending numerous continuing education courses each year. He has introduced several new technologies, services, and updates to the practice.
Some of Dr. Walsworth's awards and professional affiliations include:
- Detroit Free Press Scholar Athlete of the year for the State of Michigan
- Phi Eta Sigma honor society
- Delta Sigma Delta Dental Society
- Dental School Vice President
- Pierre Fauchard Academy award recipient
- American Dental Society member
- Iowa Dental Society Member
- International Dental Implant Association Member
- Blackhawk District Dental Society member
- Past Volunteer Activities: Mission of Mercy, Ronald McDonald house, Iowa Special Olympics, Donated Dental Services Participant, Dentistry from the Heart event holder, Dominican Republic Mission trip
Dr. Walsworth is married to his wife Katie, a high school special education teacher. Dr. Walsworth has three sons: William, Lincoln, and Jacob. Dr. Walsworth enjoys coaching his kids in sports, UNI and Hawkeye sports, travel, church activities, weightlifting, literature, and gardening. He and Katie are proud to be part of the Waverly community.